Afghanistan: Blast kills 15 children in eastern province
Published7 hours agoShareRelated Topics
An explosion has killed 15 children and injured another 20 people in the east Afghan province of Ghazni, officials and police sources say.
The reason for the explosion in the Gilan district is unclear with officials saying a bomb went off in the back of a rickshaw.
But local residents suggest a piece of unexploded ordnance blew up when children tried to sell it to a vendor.
Taliban militants also say the blast was accidental.
The explosion happened around 14:00 (09:30 GMT) close to a house in a village where a Koran recital ceremony was under way.
A bomb went off after a man driving a motorised rickshaw entered the village and was surrounded by children, Wahidullah Jumazada, a spokesman for the Ghazni provincial governor, was quoted as saying by the Associated Press.
He added that the death toll could be higher.
Police spokesman Ahmad Khan accused the Taliban of carrying out an attack, AFP news agency reports.
Giving a lower death toll of 12, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said children had brought unexploded ordnance to the vendor and it had exploded, AP adds.
Levels of violence in the country have remained high despite the start of negotiations between Afghan and Taliban officials.
You may also be interested in:
https://emp.bbc.com/emp/SMPj/2.36.7/iframe.htmlmedia captionOne month after the Kabul University attack, students worry about the impact it’s had on their mental health
- Kabul attack: Several killed as rockets hit residential areasPublished21 November
More Videos from the BBC
- The British queen who ‘unashamedly loved sex’
- Siberia’s ‘door to the underworld’ is growing at an alarming rate
- Are we living in a man’s world?
- Fixing a ruined cathedral that’s frozen in time
- ‘Never thought I’d do freshers alone in my room’
- Moment 180 mph motorcyclist in T-shirt is caught
Recommended by OutbrainElsewhere on BBC
- BBCBusiness events in Japan during Covid-19
- BBCThe forgotten fighter plane which won the Battle of Britain
- BBCThe arts and culture stars who died in 2020
- BBCThe mystery of Siberia’s exploding craters
- BBCThe most striking images of 2020
- BBCLlanelly: An abandoned Welsh town in Australia