Here are the Confederate statues in the Capitol
BY JAMES BIKALES – 06/12/20 05:23 PM EDT 9731,570
- Trump reschedules Tulsa rally after criticism of overlap with JuneteenthCAMPAIGN — 1H 11M AGO
- New York Times endorses Engel primary challengerCAMPAIGN — 1H 41M AGO
- Trump campaign manager says 300,000 tickets registered for upcoming rallyCAMPAIGN — 1H 49M AGO
- Four poachers arrested for killing endangered silverback gorillaENERGY & ENVIRONMENT — 2H 12M AGO
- NYC Council leaders back push to cut $1B from police budgetSTATE WATCH — 2H 26M AGO
- Democrats hammer Mnuchin after he says names of small-business borrowers won’t be disclosedFINANCE — 2H 55M AGO
- Trump says he’ll leave White House peacefully if Biden winsADMINISTRATION — 3H 10M AGO
- Band-Aid to produce bandages for range of skin tonesIN THE KNOW — 3H 16M AGO
VIEW ALLRelated News
- READ: Philonise Floyd’s statement to Congress
- Union leaders press Oversight Committee…
- Heres What a Walk In Tub Should Cost in…Sponsored | Yahoo! Search
- Trio of GOP lawmakers asks Zoom to clarify…
Congressional Democrats launched a new push this week to remove Confederate statues from the Capitol grounds.
Reps. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) and Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) introduced a bill Thursday to send the statues back to states or the Smithsonian within 120 days, and Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) introduced a companion bill in the Senate.
The killing of George Floyd, an unarmed black man who died in Minneapolis police custody after an officer knelt on his neck for more than eight minutes, has spurred protests around the country and galvanized efforts to take down Confederate monuments nationwide.
Eleven statues in the National Statuary Hall Collection commemorate Confederate soldiers and officials, including several in their Confederate uniforms. Democrats first pushed for their removal in 2017.