Joe Biden’s looming disaster
BY GRADY MEANS, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR — 12/17/20 10:30 AM EST 2,874THE VIEWS EXPRESSED BY CONTRIBUTORS ARE THEIR OWN AND NOT THE VIEW OF THE HILL2,047
- Pelosi to get COVID-19 vaccine in ‘next few days’ as vaccination program begins for lawmakersHOUSE — 1H 55M AGO
- Maryland-Michigan State football game canceled after 15 players test positive for COVID-19BLOG BRIEFING ROOM — 2H 16M AGO
- Los Angeles mayor announces he won’t be joining Biden administrationADMINISTRATION — 2H 52M AGO
- Jill Biden: Doctorate is one of the things I’m ‘most proud of’IN THE KNOW — 2H 59M AGO
- Azar tells Health Department staff his wife has COVID-19: ‘Mild symptoms but otherwise doing well’ADMINISTRATION — 3H 24M AGO
- 8 nuns die of COVID-19 at Milwaukee retirement home in one weekHEALTHCARE — 3H 33M AGO
- Former California employee accused of cheating pandemic benefit system of $200KSTATE WATCH — 3H 36M AGO
- Ex-FDA head celebrates rule change that will allow frozen cherry pies to be ‘especially thick’BLOG BRIEFING ROOM — 4H 26M AGO
- The All New Subaru Outback Is The Cream…Sponsored | Luxury Auto | Sponsored Listings
- Press: Does Kevin McCarthy even believe…
- Social media is mightier than Gov. DeSantis’s…
- Jonathan Turley: Has the media finally awoken…
by https://imasdk.googleapis.com/js/core/bridge3.432.0_en.html#goog_1186213835Volume 90%
Pity Joe Biden. He is the dog that finally caught the bus and he is soon to be political roadkill. While he celebrates his victory in the Electoral College, powerful forces already are engaged to doom him and his presidency. His two central problems are that he has set the wrong expectations and that his policies will not work in the current domestic and international political, economic and military environment.
The only message in his “I’m-not-Trump” political campaign was that President Trump made a mess of domestic and foreign policy and that Biden would fix all of that. The deadly trap is that Trump did very well on many key measures and Biden inevitably will do much worse, creating a failed Biden presidency.
His Day One issue of COVID-19 already is a loser. Researchers developed vaccines in record time, under Trump’s direction, and are rolling them out. The complex issue of distribution now goes to Biden. Any significant number of deaths among the vulnerable communities of nursing homes, the elderly in general, minorities, and those with pre-existing conditions will fall solely on Biden’s team. Similarly, sustained economic damage resulting from lockdowns will fall on Biden and Democratic officials.
The other Day One issue is Biden’s budget. He has proposed tax increases that will affect all income groups, with a disproportionate impact on high-income earners. Compounding that increase will be the “hidden tax” of an inevitable increase in inflation from the multitrillion-dollar COVID-19 relief bills. These combined tax increases will trigger investment capital flight, much as they did under former President Obama. The inflation will drive up both interest rates and unemployment, and increase the wealth gap in spite of Biden’s tax policies.
Unfortunately, the huge COVID-19 spending and inflation preclude the Fed from the zero-interest rate policies that Janet Yellen used to float the Obama economy when she served as Fed chief. The bottom line is that there is no budget or monetary policy solution that drives real economic growth. Cuts in national defense spending are inevitable, but even weakened national security cannot solve the budget problem. America has spent the milk money.
Trump delivered spectacular growth to t